I have pink eye….So are you coming to class?

This was two weekends ago but school has been a little hectic these past two weeks with midterms and presentations and all but here is the exciting stuff.

On the 19th our school took us on a field trip to Reims for champagne tasting and we had a blast. Much more fun than the last school field trip we went on. Aka no European institutions.Thumbnail image for castellane.JPG

We started off by taking a bus there and going to Castellane which is a big corporation champagne producer. They don’t grow their own grapes they buy them from grape growers but they do make some pretty good champagne. We first went on a tour of their production/bottling facilities and then a little tour of the history of champagne making and finally a tasting. They were having a special since it was the first week of selling their 2010 champagne so Dayna, Meline, and I bought a bottle. http://www.castellane.com/

Thumbnail image for bubbles.JPGThumbnail image for champagne 3.jpg

Thumbnail image for cave.JPG

Thumbnail image for champagne 2.jpgThumbnail image for monk.JPGThen we saw the Cathedral! Nuff said.

Thumbnail image for reims cath 2.JPGreims cath.JPG

Next, lunch time at Flo Brasserie. It was pretty good except for an appetizer we got a piece of ham with some lettuce and mayo which did not look to appetizing but wasn’t bad and we had chicken with mushroom sauce. YUM!

Then we got back on the bus and went to the Corbon Champagne house which is a3 glasses.JPG little father daughter owned place. Very cute. We got to play the scent game apparently we are not very good at using our noses because I think I got 4 of the 12 scents right. Then we went on a tour of their champagne caves definitely cooler than the big corporation ones made you feel like you got to go back in time and a little more legit. And then we got to try 3 different champagnes regular, vintage, and prestige. The only place the sell their champagne in the US is in Connecticut… HINT HINT WINK WINK COUGH COUGH SHOVE SHOVE ANDREW http://www.champagne-corbon.fr/home.aspx

barrel.JPGavise.JPG 

Then back on the bus to go home.

Last week wasn’t so great had a sore throat and runny nose. O yea and I got pink eye for my first time ever. That was an exciting adventure. I got to go to the French eye doctor. The doctor’s office is in an apartment building on the 2nd floor aka the 3rd floor for us Americans, anyway, so I walk in and go to the 2nd floor and ring the bell. Some old lady comes to the door and looks me up and down and I asked her in my amazing French accent if she knows where the optometrist is. She tells me she lives in apartment 10 bis and the optometrist is just 10 so I was late but they didn’t seem to mind so much.

Also, last Thursday we were going to go bowling so we were all in Caity’s room waiting for her to finish getting dressed and she got locked in the bathroom. So we called both the RA’s… no answer. So we go down to the apartment office and the lady tells us there is nothing she can do and closes her door. So we call Peggy on her personal cell phone and she calls our RA on his personal cell phone. He shows up with a tool box and we try for a good hour to get her out and now there is no door knob on the door at all at this point so we call a lock smith. He shows up and is all upset that we took the door knob off so he busts out the power tools and drills holes in the door to get her out. She was in there for 2 hours so needless to say we didn’t go bowling.

But, I went bowling tonight with the RA’s and it was pretty fun and pretty much exactly the same as in the US.   

Location: Reims, France