Recent Activity

It has been exactly one month since I arrived on New Zealand soil, and I have tons of stories to catch up on!

I has been an amazing semester, even though classes only started last week, but certainly not what I was expecting. I certainly did not think that there would be an earthquake in Christchurch, postponed classes, and a two week impromptu bus trip around the south island. 
Now back in Lincoln, at University, settled in and starting classes, I promise to write down all of the experiences I have had thus far in this amazing country!
The internet has not been completely cooperative with uploading pictures and files, so if you’re curious, here is the link to my other blog http://anniegoes.blogspot.com/ and I will definitely be adding those stories, AND MORE to GeoBlog.
Sweet as…

Location: Lincoln University, Lincoln New Zealand

3 thoughts on “Recent Activity

1. ERICKA T ROBERTS

Anne,

Thanks so much for the information. I still really want to go and do the program there. Hopefully I will get in :).

I was just wondering, what did you do in terms of housing for the first semester? Did you just live on campus? That had been my plan but I didn’t get on campus housing so now I am having to look for a place that will allow me to only do a contract for a semester (or a sublet) it is sort of a pain. Any suggestions?

2. ANNE ELIZABETH TRALKA

Hey Ericka!

The earthquake had a tremendous impact on daily life that was apparent from the moment I first arrived in Christchurch, the day after the earthquake.

Already though, I have seen how life has transitioned back to normality. Lincoln University has not been physically damaged and classes are running as usual. When I talk to Christchurch residents, they all seem really hopeful about the city’s reconstruction, and everyone is working to rebuild.

The CBD of Christchurch, the area that was impacted the most, is currently closed off, but block my block they are reopening it.

People I have talked to expect most everything to be open by summer. The Kiwi students here only complain that the “town” with the “night life” is not currently open… I personally think we are having a great time regardless.

Other universities in the area, especially those closer to the CBD have been affected more… Lincoln is about 20 km from the city center. Over all I would say DEFINITELY still come, regardless of the earthquake, the country is beautiful, the people are extremely friendly, and honestly I don’t want to leave!

3. ERICKA T ROBERTS

Hey I am looking into doing the same program next year and I was curious as to what to expect there after the earthquake