Midterms in Paris?!

I did not get the chance to post about two weeks ago; I didn’t realize I would be so busy in Paris, with not only exploring and taking in the culture, but with school work too! Not last weekend, but the weekend before that was the Agricultural Exhibit at Porte de Versailles in Paris. It was amazing. There were seven different arenas, all with different themes like food from around the world, livestock, nature life such as trees, plants, flowers… and so much more! I tried different cheeses and wines from all over France, had real Italian gelato and chocolate from Morocco. I saw the biggest cow ever in my life, an played with puppies, pigs, and horses for hours.

Last week was probably the most hectic week abroad, mid term exams. I have never had more exams in a span of four days in my life. After my last final on Thursday afternoon, I went to the Centre Pompidou, the famous modern art museum in Paris to see the Piet Mondiau exhibit. Since I went right from class, I didn’t get the chance to grab my camera, but I did take some pictures through the week while I walked through Paris on my study breaks. I walked along the Champs Elysees and went to see the Grand Palais and the Petit Palais. I saw a modern photography exposition at the Petit Palais of father and daughter photographers, Pierre and Alexandra Boulat.

Later on in the week, I went back to one of my favorite places in Paris, Montmartre. I didn’t venture all the way up to Sacre Coeur Basilica this time, but I spent an hour walking through and relaxing in the Montmartre cemetery. Later on, I met my friend Amber for lunch and coffee at a nearby caf�. Besides those two adventures, my week was mostly spent in my room or at the library, studying for Language, History of Paris, Theatre and History of Modern Art. Needless to say I was in need of a relaxing weekend…

Thursday night, two of my best friends from school, Tara and Lauren were spending their last night in Paris for their spring break. We went out for dinner and drinks, and shared our abroad adventures; me in Paris and Tara and Lauren in Florence, Italy. I am definitely planning on booking a trip to Florence before this semester ends!

Friday night was very cool. A French friend whom Kevin, Katherine and I met the other night invited us over for dinner, and called it a “soiree,” which is basically just a fancy dinner party. The food was amazing! We had scallops and chevre on toast as hors d’oeuvres and then had brisket with carrots and mushrooms over rice, with a fresh risotto sauce.

It rained the rest of the weekend, so nothing too exciting happened. I booked my spring break to Croatia in April thought! Today is the first day Paris has had weather over 55 degrees, and I love this sunshine. Katherine and I walked around Chatelet and Les Halles, which is a happening area in the center of Paris with tons of cafes, museums, galleries and shops. Tomorrow is supposed to be 62 degrees, so we are going to have a picnic at Parc du Prince after our classes.

Here are a few pictures that I took during the week…

Thumbnail image for DSC01780.JPG

The Grand Palais (Grand Palace)

DSC01782.JPGThe Petit Palais (not so petite but smaller than the Grand Palais)

DSC01882.JPGOne of the many rolling blading parades that occur in Paris

DSC01906.JPGPassing by the Pantheon on my walk from the Latin Quarter to the Marais

Here are a few pictures from the Agricultural Exposition:

DSC01923.JPG

DSC01933.JPGDSC01938.JPGDSC01976.JPGDSC01998.JPGDSC01993.JPGCow and McDonald’s… how ironic.

DSC01947.JPG

Here is a picture from the top of Centre Pompidou at sunset, truly beautiful

DSC02002.JPG

Location: Paris, France