Community Service

The past few days have been quite heavy with homework and classes but we have somehow managed to find time for some interaction with the community. Yesterday after classes we had the opportunity to visit a local orphanage. I am so glad I went because those kids were probably happier than they have been in a very long time to see us but it broke my heart at the same time to see where and how they were living. All of the children who lived there were born healthy but had parents who dies from AIDS. The government tested them and then placed them in an orphanage once their parents died. They live in a crumbling concrete and brick building and sleep 4-5 children to a bed. But through it all they greeted us with smiling faces and a slight understanding of English. We started with a tour of the 5 room building but were quickly swarmed by children. We had brought a soccer ball, some finger paints and Fanta with us. I’ve never seen such happy kids. They ranged in age from 5-13 and stole as much attention from us as they possibly could. By the end of the day we were all covered in paint, full of Fanta and falling over from too much dancing and soccer. We taught the kids how to clink bottles and say “cheers”. I was worried my bottle would break it was clinked so many times! It broke my heart to say goodbye at the end of the day but we will be going back in a week or two.
Today, a few of us got to hang out with some more children from the local primary school. Me and 3 others walked the short distance from camp to the school and had kids hanging on all limbs as soon as we got within view of the school. Little voices screamed “mzungu!!” (foreigner/white person) from all sides. We hear mzungu very often but it has no derogatory connotation. It’s simply a way of identifying us. We did our best to touch every little hand and say hi to every little face before we were ushered into a classroom to help 6th graders with reading English. We handed out a couple dozen donated children’s books and listened to small groups read and laugh at the pictures. After reading time, we sang some English songs such as “row, row, row your boat” and “baby shark” and then learned some swahili songs! They love to laugh at us as we try and sing and dance like them. Getting home was an event in itself because each one of us were dragging 5 or 6 kids behind us. I’m pretty sure a few of those kids who followed us all the way back to camp were supposed to stay in school…. But oh well! They had fun and so did we. My swahili is getting better but I still wish I could have longer conversations with them. Swahili class is moving very fast so hopefully in two or three weeks I’ll be a much better speaker!
Well, I have put off my homework as long as I can for tonight. I have a big weekend coming up and am trying to work ahead on my assignments. Saturday is another game drive to Tirangirie National Park where we are practicing population counts. I can’t wait to see the animals again. I’ll be sure to take pictures!

Kwa heri 

Location: Rhotia, Tanzania