Blue and Yellow Blue and Yellow

Okay so the title of this is pretty dumb as I’m sure the rest of you are about as tired of that song as I am.  Nevertheless, I have just returned from the land that is represented by those two colors, and that land is Sweden.  Myself and four other friends decided to fly to Stockholm for three days because of the mega-ultra-super cheap airfare.  Notable things about the trip are as follows:

1. Hostels are cool, if you don’t mind sleeping with a bunch of strangers in your room.

It was my first time staying in a hostel, and I must say, it’s not my first choice of residence…not by a long shot.  But I was able to get used to the idea seeing as if I’m going to do any more traveling, that’ll probably be where I live majority of the time.  Plus, it’s not like we spent much time in the room anyway.  And sorry ladies, but I didn’t get the chance to snap any pics of me in my supersexy sleepwear.

2. Nationalism is contagious

I’ve been to my fair share of hockey games; I’m a huge Rangers fan, and more importantly, a huge USA fan. I’ll be the first to throw around a U-S-A chant during the televised Olympic games, and I’m sure I won’t be the last.  Having said that, I’ve never rallied behind a country not called the United States of America, as I did when we went to the Sweden vs. Russia game on Saturday. We didn’t even plan on going, but the tickets weren’t too expensive so we figured that we all like hockey, so why not.  The Swedes absolutely dominated Russia in a route.  I think it was 6-1.  Great experience.
stockholm, sweden 018.JPG

3. The stereotypes are pretty true….

All the girls in Sweden are good looking.  Fact.

4. Stockholm in February is a little chilly

Or its really effing cold.  I was not prepared for the weather, but luckily we made the best of it.  We took a boat tour through ICY waters (I guess the boat’s hub or whatever part was designed to break the ice…coulda used it at the bars the night before LOLZ). Anyway it was real cool (lovin’ my own puns) and we saw a lot of cool stuff.  Believe it or not there’s a pretty cool amusement park in Stockholm.

stockholm, sweden 104.JPG

stockholm, sweden 089.JPG

5. The Swedish military has nothing on the US military.

First off, we saw the changing of the guard in front of the Swedish Royal Palace. If I had a nickel for every soldier who was yawning, laughing, chit chatting, or relaxing when they clearly were not supposed to be, I would be a rich man.  They even like sort of skipped at one point (as in like skipping instead of walking).  Now, I’m no drill sergeant, but act professional boys.  Nobody in the states would’ve stood for that.  Oh, and apparently Sweden raises a flag on one of its buildings for however long it has been that Sweden has been out of a war.  The flag has been raised since 1813.  Maybe if they’d get in some more international scuffles, their military wouldn’t be a bunch of slackers. I mean, they missed both World Wars for cryin’ out loud. Bahhh I’m just kidding…..Kind of. Anyway here’s a pic!

stockholm, sweden 053.JPG

Location: Stockholm, Sweden