Que Linda!!! (How Beautiful!)

AHHHH!  Estoy en VENEZUELA!

I will update later in the week with pictures and more stories, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I am here (in Merida) and Ivery much alive!  First, let me just say that it is GORGEOUS here. plain and simple. Yesterday was a very long day – we were up from 2:30am to 12am the next day (Que lastima, no?) 

Quick story: We got into Merida around 10 (I think?) and we were so excited to meet our host families!  Lana, Sam, and I spent a while looking for our Mama, Sra. Coromoto, but she was nowhere to be found!  Next thing you know I here, “Chica!”  and we turn around to this young chico in his 20’s (presumably our host brother).  He then proceeds to lead us to a huge truck with 4 of his friends (ages 20 to 23) sitting on the back! Needless to say, I was a bit surprised and, obviously, somewhat overwhelmed.  Good thing Lana knows a lot of Spanish!  After saying our names and “mucho gusto!”  We got in the truck and proceeded to our host’s brother’s home to meet our Mama (but not before breaking the tailgate of their incredibly nice and expensive truck with our suitcases. oops).

For a moment, I was freaking out because I didnt know if these guys were actually telling the truth about who they were (haha, sorry mom), because obviously we had never met our host brother before, but then he gave us our official VENUSA envelopes and my fears subsided.  

So, like I mentioned before, we arrived at night, therefore on the extremely fast bus ride to merida (fast as in, he ran every single red light! hahaha), we were unable to get a view of the andes that surrounded us. However, that just made waking up this morning even more amazing! As previously mentioned, it is SO beautiful here… in every way.  The people. The Scenery. Everything!  All the traveling and tiredness was totally worth it! So far, I am not sick and today I’m not even tired!  I love mi mama y mi familia y mis hermanas (roommate) – Me encanta TODOS! 

(Oh, and something really crazy and exciting:  at home, we ONLY speaks Spanish!  Que incredible! I am already learning so much! I have had more conversations in spanish today and last night than I have ever had in my entire life!

Today we have a tour of the city, tomorrow is class orientation, and then weds our classes begin!

I love you all! I will be sure to update later this week!  xoxoxox

Mandy (ps. they call me Amanda here! weird. but I love it!)

Location: Merida, Venezuela

5 thoughts on “Que Linda!!! (How Beautiful!)

1. Anonymous

oh no… puppet form?! hahaha, I want to see pictures! You guys can email me any time to tell me things (espcially ang and tinkly town

2. Coleen

So happy to see you arrived safe and sound!! Have a blast and can’t wait for pictures!!! πŸ™‚ Love Ya!!

3. Holly La Porte

Can’t wait to see your pics! So glad you are there safely and enjoying it! We send you lots of love! xoxo

4. Angela

Yayyyy!
    I’m so glad to hear that you’re lovin’ it!
    A truck full of chicos, eh? Sounds like I shoulda gone to VZ! πŸ˜‰ Bahhaha.

I’ve been thinking of you pretty much all the time. You’ve been gone for like three days? I already have stuff to tell you! Haha.

Welp, I’ve got to go and get ready for Tinker’s Applebee’s bday bash! I’ve devised a plan for you to be there, even though you’re over 3,000 miles away. πŸ˜‰

Ahhh! I’m so happy for youuu! Thanks for updating so quickly! I look forward to hearing more! πŸ˜€