And now I’m stuck in the UK

I have the worst luck with flying. Seriously. I was supposed to fly home this morning to be with my family for Christmas. I have a flight back to the UK on the 26th because I want to do New Year’s in London, so it was already a short trip. 

Yesterday, there was a “blizzard” and Heathrow and Gatwick closed down. Now, let me remind you, I was stuck in Austria a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. Well, Gatwick was closed then. I ended up having to take a bus to Bratislava in Slovakia and flying out there in a blizzard! They literally guided my plane through completely snow covered tracks. We couldn’t see anything. The only thing that was cleared was the runway. That much snow and we still got off fine. 
Anyway, I was thinking “good thing I booked my flight for Sunday”. And it should’ve been a good thing. The snow stopped around 6pm last night so, as all of you Northeastern people know, that should be ample time to clear. Well, no such luck. I woke up at 7am this morning, an hour before I was supposed to, and checked my flight. A big red “canceled” glared at me from the screen. I cried a little.
I spent $15 trying to call Delta’s customer service, but never got through. Eventually I found a link on my reservation and rebooked on a flight tomorrow, but it’s a shit flight. It’ll take me 14 and a half hours to get to JFK and from there I have to figure out how to get to my home in upstate NY. I called my mom to see if she could switch the connecting flight I’m going to miss tonight to tomorrow. 
Like in Austria, though, I’ve lucked out a bit. In Austria I was staying with one of my best friends from back home who was studying there. Here, in London, I’m staying at my boyfriend’s. So at least it’s not costing me a fortune on hotels. 
I just want to get home for Christmas, though. I already bought everyone presents!

Location: London, England

One thought on “And now I’m stuck in the UK

1. Steve

Hi, I completely sympathise with your situation.

We see this a lot in our line of business. We specialise in providing hotels near Gatwick Airport which you can utilise when flying in and out Gatwick and can be of great benefit in such extreme weather condtions too.

See hotels Gatwick for more information.