Six jours avant le départ

It’s hard to believe I’ll be leaving Paris in six days. I fell into the rhythm of this city, into the swaying of the metro and the cobble-stoned streets, the smell of the boulangeries in the morning, the music of the French language.

I’ll miss Paris terribly as soon as I leave, and I’ll miss speaking French. Each language has its own reality, its own manner of looking at and interacting with the world. I think that’s one of the most valuable things I’ve learned while here. Simply sitting in a classroom at the Sorbonne and being able to understand everything the professor is saying about Victor Hugo or Stendhal is a kind of accomplishment, as is ordering a pastry or giving someone directions.

The last two weekends I went to London to pick up and drop off a very close friend who flew to Europe. I loved London and all its quirks. It was strange to be around so much English. My friend constantly teased me for saying “pardon” with a strong French accent instead of “excuse me” or “sorry.” That particular habit has been ingrained in my mind over these past four months. I also enjoyed the opportunity to show him around Paris. Although I don’t particularly care about the Eiffel Tower, I felt so excited for him to see it for the first time. By playing the tour guide and revisiting parts of the city I haven’t seen in months, I realized how much Paris means to me and how much I’ll miss it when I’m gone.

But I guess, like the movie says, I’ll always have Paris.

Location: 77 rue Daguerre, Paris, France