Redefining my life

IES Abroad, the study abroad group I am traveling with, currently has the theme “Your world [redefined].”  It is completely true that in studying abroad, I have been given the opportunity to redefine my life.  Not so much because it is in another country or because everything is so different, but just because it is a new start.  I’m living in a city where I can decide to go to bars every night or dance at milongas.  I can decide to stay out until 6 in the morning or I can immerse myself in my work.  In a way, this was the cause of my biggest fear before studying abroad.  I was afraid I would forget who I was, forget what I truly cared for at home, and come back as someone no one would recognize.  I was willing to change in small ways, to learn and live in a new country, but not to change who I was completely.

I’m so happy that now I can truly say I don’t think I had anything to worry about.  I still get more pleasure from church community and good discussions than I do from any attempt at staying up late I might make.  I have learned to immerse myself in books, growing my desire to learn that has existed from before my study abroad.  I still find immense joy in dancing, even though my opportunities to dance may have turned out very different than I had thought they would be.  My convictions that I had before studying abroad still stand, with a little added knowledge of Spanish and another country.  If anything, my convictions have been tested and strengthened.  I am blessed to have had this chance to reaffirm my values.
For this reason, I can finally say that I think study abroad was a good decision for me.  At the beginning of my trip, I was having a hard time adjusting, missing home, and having a hard time justifying this trip. Don’t get me wrong, I still miss the people at home and, in some ways, can’t wait to be home.  But at the same time, I can see some of the value of my study abroad, knowing that I’ve grown in so many ways.  I know even more will be revealed to me after I’m home, and I still have a little less than 4 weeks in this country to get all that I can out of this experience.  While this is in no way the end of my trip, I still feel like time is winding down and I am in the position now where I can start looking back at how I’ve changed.  Or not changed.

Location: Libertad, Buenos Aires, Argentina

2 thoughts on “Redefining my life

1. RACHEL E HELWIG

Hi, Rachel. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on studying abroad. You said it perfectly — while sometimes challenging, totally worth it in the end! (I’m an Education Abroad Adviser, for full disclosure). Also, I know your brother Chris. Chris, if you’re reading this — hi!