Preparing for Census Day in Argentina

A long line of Argentines at the local Chinese grocery store, baskets in hand loaded with food in preparation for — you’d never have guessed it — National Census Day.

census_food.jpg

Tomorrow, nearly everything will be shut down in Argentina, from grocery stores to restaurants to pharmacies to kiosks, and public reunions are prohibited, from sports events to classes to weddings. Only the bare essentials will be running, which includes such services as public transportation and hospitals. This is to allow at least one person in every household to await the arrival of one of 600,000 census workers, who will conduct interviews and fill out a questionnaire of typical census questions that involve age, level of education, marital status, etc.

So with the whole country on hold — gasp! — people need to prepare. And it felt great to be alongside my fellow residents, waiting in line to pay for my groceries, preparing for the national holiday.

On a related note, I finally feel accustomed to measurements in the metric system, at least when it comes to ordering from the deli. The people in line tonight had a good laugh when I ordered 1.5 grams of ham.

Some businesses took today off, too, effectively giving them a mini vacation.

As for me, I’m looking forward to catching up on some homework tomorrow while buckling down with my census day supplies.

P.S. I’ll be back to talking about the Argentine student movement shortly.

Location: Avenida Paraguay, Buenos Aires, Argentina

One thought on “Preparing for Census Day in Argentina

1. free stuff

There is a computer system in the sixth from replica pen the earth’s replica pens society residence, however what design is more preferable? Throughout my personal genuine impression We would opt for pc given that they’re transportable, even though WE favor personal computer to help heavy job including getting referrals etc. Therefore gentleman whats a person’s choice? Laptop computer, Laptop or computer or perhaps Tabloids? replica mont blanc pens