Classes in Japan!

I apologize for not updating the past week (or 2 weeks!)

Anyway, I will make this entry mainly about classes I’m taking in Japan with some things I have done in the past 2-3 weeks.
It has already been a month since I’ve been here. Time really flies! There are only 2.5 months left! I think things are going quite smoothly and the workload isn’t that bad. It’s definitely not as bad as the workload at PSU!
So this semester I’m taking 4 classes: Jissen Japanese 002, Arts and Society in Japan, History of Tokyo, and Social Organizations in Japan.
The class I like the most would have to be my Japanese class. It’s fun, interactive, and interesting. We meet everyday except Wednesday and we have 2 classes on Fridays. On Friday’s class, we get a normal class and then a class concentrating on Kanji. We had our first test already, and I have to say that it’s not really that bad.
The Arts and Society class is a little dry. I find myself struggling to stay awake (perhaps it’s because it’s a 3-hour class.) The readings are a lot but the work we’re required to do is not. We only have to write 100-200 word response on the reading. We also get field trips! So in 2 weeks we’ll visit a museum and…go somewhere. I can’t really remember the details. The class is okay.
The History of Tokyo class is quite interesting. Although I find myself falling asleep in this class too. It must be because it’s 3 hours! We’re also having a field trip in this class this Monday! I’m excited for that! I’m not 100% sure (I should be) but I think we’re going to Ueno park (we’re going somewhere with a big historic background.)
And oh! There is ANOTHER field trip coming up for my Japanese class! We’re going to an aquarium! YAY! There are so many field trips and I love ’em! It means no class! Haha.
The Social Organization class is actually the Field Placement, where I have been placed into an organization called AVTEL. I’m really glad for this placement. I have been there 3 times now and they have given me a project to complete by the end of this semester. I have been told to learn how to use Access 2007 and create a database and application for one of their products. For the past 3 weeks, I have been learning a lot of doing a lot of work but I’m glad about it because I will be able to use this skill in the future. It is also good resume material! We meet with the rest of the students and the professors every other week to talk about our experiences. We also have some readings and papers to write but they’re not too bad if I get started on them before the day it is due!
So overall, the classes are great and I don’t have to hide in my room all day to study. I actually find myself having a lot of free time to do my own thing.
I will end this post with a picture I have taken with Pikachu at Akihabara!

Location: Chiba, Japan