Privileges

It still seems unreal to me that I am living in Paris. Each morning I am struck anew with this revelation, usually at about the same time I see the sunlight illuminating the treetops and the buildings on the avenues of Montparnasse.

The leaves in the Jardin du Luxembourg (where the Senate is located) are beginning to turn gold and red. The morning air is cool, although it will be warm in the afternoon. This makes me wonder what the thousands of sans-abri, the homeless, will do in the winter. Every day the problems of poverty and homelessness confront Paris. On every other street there are men and women sitting on the sidewalk or in metro stations, huddled with an outstretched hand or a cup. Some ask passersby for money, or pray aloud, or perform a song. Some ride the metro, switching between cars and giving each a speech about his or her life. Others are silent.
I feel immensely guilty every time I pass les sans-abri. I have come to this country in a mantle of privilege – a college student without a job, simply here to study literature and cinema and experience a different culture. But I also know that I can’t help everyone. I thought that France had a strong system for the welfare of the homeless and those in poverty, but maybe I need to research this a bit more. Because many of the sans-abri are immigrants, the issue is sensitive; France recently departed large numbers of Roma and is being harshly criticized (deservedly, I think) by the other members of the EU.
It’s just sad to see people with so little in a country that prides itself on its haute-couture, art, and libert�, �galit�, et fraternit�. But unfortunately, I guess it’s the same in most cities. I’m going to look into volunteering opportunities here, so that I can make use of my French citizenship (however temporary it may be).
Le Palais de Justice

Location: Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris 75006, France

One thought on “Privileges

1. AMELIA KATHRYN HAWBAKER

Charlee – you make some great points about the situation of the homeless in Paris. It does seem like a tough situation – I can’t imagine what the reaction would be if the United States were to deport the homeless in mass.

It is great that you recognize how fortunate you are in comparison to the many homeless around Paris. Often as vacationers and tourists, it seems as though people tend to neglect or become remiss about the place they are visiting. Volunteering would be an excellent way of integrating into the culture – you will be on your way to becoming a true Parisian (rather than a mere guest)!