Japanese food

Is absolutely amazing. Almost everything is fresh cooked, so you never have to deal with that ‘sitting out for awhile’ taste. The portions are pretty damn big to, contrary to my initial belief that serving size in Japan would satisfy but only gnomes. Wrong be I. Each meal (excluding things my Host family cooks) fills me up–sometimes even more than American food. The pictures and the models of the food are mostly accurate outside of the stores, however today I was finally tricked. I spent 500yen on a meal which the picture portrayed as a large meal complete with meat, veggies, and other stuff. But what I got wasn’t a meal at all. It was simply a snack, like 8 rice cakes in spicy sauce. It’s a trap! But in all fairness it was good and I did get from a Korean restraunt so.

Speaking of food I had the honor yesterday to cook food for my host family…dinner rather. I decided to go with an american classic–good ol’ Sloppy Joe. Surprisingly it was pretty easy to make here in Japan. Ground beef was no problem (although figuring out the Japanese word for ‘ground’ was a right pain in the a**), and the sauce just had to be altered a bit. Unlike in America you cannot just buy the sauce pre-made, so I had to make it from scratch. I’d gladly give the ingredients but it turned out to be really delicious so it has thus become my secret recipe.

Oh yeah and bread and baked goods in Japan is the bomb. I am contemplating if I should go all out this weekend and chow on all the baked goods for breakfest, lunch, dinner, and snacks. The only problem is that it would put my stomach at risk of combustion…and that would probably suck. But what a great way to die–eating the greatest pastries off all time.

P.S. for the one or two people who read this I apologize for not uploading any pictures yet, but this geoblog thing is incredibly glitchy for me. Everytime I try something different it freezes, so I decided to just stick to the basics for now.

Location: Japan