Belated Happy Birthday Wishes at an Evangelical Church

NOTE: Still catching up on entries…

Saturday, August 7 — It seems like months ago now, but I went to a youth gathering at Fiorella’s church a while ago. She invited me and having nothing to lose, I figured I’d go.

Before going there, I went to a fair in Recoleta (another barrio of Buenos Aires). It’s where tons of people set up booths to sell their wares, from purses to instruments to wood miniatures to jewelry, and the passerby spend the day shopping or hanging on the lawns chatting with friends, some even playing music.

IMG_2331-edited.jpg

There was a drum circle there. The group Taller Percutivo La Descarga (something like that) was banging on a variety of percussive thingamajigs. One man had a flute, and he let me borrow it and join in for two quick songs (not shown, video came out too dark!).

People were walking on tight ropes, sleeping in hammocks, taking naps in the grass – a real Bohemian atmosphere.

IMG_2312-edited.jpg

IMG_2327-edited.jpgIMG_2320-edited.jpgIMG_2353-edited.jpgIMG_2358-edited.jpg

That said, I showed up late to the gathering at the Evangelical Church. When it was practically ending, no less. At that point I was still struggling with public transportation, so I got lost a few times on the way there.

When I finally did arrive, a group of young people welcomed me in a really pleasant way, all hugs and Argentine kiss-greetings, even offering food. Some alternative dudes were playing some kind of rock and roll stuff in the corner, winding down and messing around more like it. I’d apparently missed all the fun activities. Except for one, that is. It involved popping balloons with your feet if desired, but preferably with your butt. This promptly made a mess of confetti all over the floor.

IMG_2367-edited.jpg

They also sang Happy Birthday to me. They were singing it for everyone whose birthday had just occurred recently, and I clearly fit the bill. So I was subjected to the Argentine mode of “singing” the tune…haha. See for yourself:

I really do like it here. I haven�t been here long enough to make that call for certain, though.

I hope my opinion of this place doesn�t change.

Location: Avenida Pueyrredon, Buenos Aires, Argentina