First Impressions

What a whirlwind 24 hours!  To think that 48 hours ago I was in the JFK airport bidding farewells and now I’m living in a new city with new friends and a completely new “normal.”  My thoughts are still slightly scattered, partially from the taxing orientation and partially from trying to comprehend Spanish all day long.  But here are some first impression of this city where supposedly calling God is a local number:

-Apparently driving lanes (and traffic lights, for that matter) are a suggestion, if they’re painted on the roads at all.  I haven’t seen any near crashes, but I can definitely say I would not want to drive in this city myself.
-The standard of living here is definitely not what I’m used to.  The tiny apartment I’m in (with my se�ora) has noticeable changes from the US, although not to the point of it being uncomfortable.  To sum it up: both faucets leak (I don’t think they’re getting fixed anytime soon), the kitchen realistically barely fits one person, and everything is a little bit older than I’m used to.  I can’t complain: I have a cute little room with a relatively large bed.
-This is a city of immigrants.  Everywhere you look you can see Spanish, Italian, and even some French influence.  Today we saw the old quarters where immigrants used to live: one room per family.
-This city enjoys living.  The clubs here apparently open around 3 in the morning and stay open until 8.  There’s not excessive drinking or anything, they just like to enjoy life.
-I finally have a taste for why groups of nationalities in the US like to group together and speak their language. I’m excited to learn more Spanish, but honestly, comprehending everything all day long is exhausting.  It’s nice to occasionally just be able to speak English.

Location: 964 Libertad, Buenos Aires, Argentina

One thought on “First Impressions

1. ANNE ELIZABETH SHELDRAKE

Sounds like a great experience so far! Best of luck with understanding the Spanish.
    Will pictures come at some point in the future? I hope you are getting to enjoy using your camera!