Immersion isn’t just about classes…

Even though I’m here for classes, the program at Université Laval is set up so that coursework is anything but what we do the majority of the time here. That’s the beauty of this program, à mon avis (in my opinion). I’m here to immerse myself in the francophone (ok so this is an English word, but just in case, francophone=French-speaking) world, so what better way to do it than by participating in as many activities as possible with the animateurs (they are a group of quebecois 20-somethings who have workshops for all the students- comparable to camp counselors, but for college students).

I have been doing lots of things since I last wrote. Jeudi dernier (last Thursday) I went to the Cabane à Sucre, the Sugar Shack, and learned how maple syrup is made. The cabane I went to still uses the same methods that were used back in the day. After a quick tour, we were fed traditional nourriture (food) such as du jambon, des œufs, des pommes de terre, la soupe au pois, du pain, des saucisses, tous avec le sirop d’érable (ham, eggs, potatoes, pea soup, bread, sausages, all with maple syrup). Pour le dessert (For dessert), we had crêpes avec le sirop d’érable, bien sur (crepes with maple syrup, of course).
IMG_1339.JPGSamedi (Saturday), I went for a randonnée with the animateurs. There were three buses of us, and we went to Mont Sainte-Anne and hiked about 2 miles to the summit, which afforded a beautiful view of le fleuve Saint-Laurent (Saint Lawrence River). It was a randonnée fatigant (tiring hike) due to the steep incline, but it was definitely worth it. After, we went to the Basilique Sainte-Anne, Saint Anne’s Basilica, which was incredibly beautiful. The inside had all sorts of mosaics and a beautiful stained glass rose window (smaller than the one in Notre Dame in Paris, but still just as beautiful).

So, other than my classes (which have been going swimmingly, I must say), students at Laval have an atelier obligatoire (obligatory workshop) once a week with the animateurs. The name makes it sound incredibly boring, but in reality it’s anything but. We had the option of a few ateliers, and I chose Découvertes de Québec, Discovering Québec, which means that I have 4 free tours of different, less tourist-y neighborhoods of the city with other students in the program. Today was the first, and we explored the faubourg (literally means suburb, but it’s not really a suburb the way we think of them in the United States) Saint Jean and Cartier. It was really cool to see all the little shops and cafés along Rue Saint-Jean, and we got a nice taste of the Québec that the natives know. After that, the animateur Pierre-Olivier took us to get la crème glacée (ice cream!) in Rue Cartier, which was vraiment chouette (really awesome). IMG_1409.JPG

While on our tour, we saw this too-cute-for words staircase. The sunlight was hitting the sign on it weird, but the sign reads Pour Chats Seulement (for cats only).

Next Monday, we will discover another neighborhood of Québec. I did find a sign that I kinda wish I could have a copy of, even though I don’t spell my name the same way…

One last thing to discuss before I say goodbye… right now, Québec is in the midst of it’s annual Festival d’Été, or summer festival, during which there are several outdoor stages set up around the city with multiple artists performing at each every night. There is a wide range of musical styles throughout the festival, and as a part of the CIC Program I got a laisse-passer (festival pass) for the entire festival for free. (Usually they cost around $50CAD). I’ve been trying to get to as many concerts as possible, especially those that I am not familiar with. Last night I went to two concerts: the first was québecois artist Yann Perreau, and the second was French electro-swing group Caravan Palace. I really enjoyed both acts. Yann is something of a sex symbol in Québec, and he had a great stage presence though was a little over the top at times (spanked himself multiple times, to raucous applause), and Caravan Palace was music like nothing I’ve ever heard before. They took classic swing songs and updated them, and had 4 swing dancers perform a ridiculously impressive routine. Here’s a link to a video I took of the dancers… worth it to watch the whole way through, they have some pretty amazing stunts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFOWAljYoNw

Tonight I’m heading to see The Arcade Fire, tomorrow night Carlos Santana, and Friday The Black Eyed Peas, among other groupes inconnues (groups that I don’t know).

Ok… so that is all for now! Bisous! (Kisses)

Location: Cochon Dingue 46 boulevard Champlain Québec Canada

4 thoughts on “Immersion isn’t just about classes…

1. Tyler Frisch

I’m waiting for the post that has more in parentheses than not. haha. Again, excellent use of franglais. (Je suis en attente pour le poste qui a plus de parenthèses que non. haha. Encore une fois, un excellent usage de franglais.)

2. Kevin Brennan

Keep the posts coming Clare, we are living vicariouslty through you on this trip!

Daddio