Day 2 Czech Republic

So it is day 2 in the Czech Republic. We woke up early this morning to meek up with our colleague Martin (Who’s a professor at Charles University) and he walked us over to where Czech TV is based out of. At Czech TV we met up with another individual named Martin (This confused me at first). The Czech TV Martin gave us a very nice tour of the entire building and the studios they film in. What I learned from this visit is there are limited commercials and advertising on TV, they have a constant 24 hour news channel (no Jack Bauer wasn’t present), they still are coping with having ‘limited’ resources and everyone that works there needs to be able to speak at least 3 different languages.

After the Czech TV visit we went to meet up with the Charles University Martin and he gave us a tour of the University. What was astonishing to me was that the school was founded in the mid 1300’s, before our country was even discovered! Additionally with that comes the immense and impressive heritage of kings involved in the creation of the University. Additionally the architecture was VERY impressive. In some instances I was rendered speechless. Through the tour we also got to view the news studio and software the journalism majors utilize on a daily basis. One of the things I found interesting about that is the students are required to learn English because all the computer software is only in English.

After the tour, Martin walked with us through the old town square where we saw again the most impressive architecture with an immense heritage and we even learned about a clock that was built in the 1400’s and continues to run without any problems. After walking through town square we then proceeded to a local pub for food and drinks. There I learned for the first time what the Czech food was like (Usually a lot of dumplings are involved) and what the beer was like (Best Beer Ever!).

Location: Prague, Czech Republic