Brotherly Love

Today we took a drive in search of one of China’s rural villages in order to better understand the lives of its farming population.  The dusty streets and run-down structures were a far cry from the urban areas and shopping streets where we’ve spent most of our time.  We took a walk around some agricultural lands, which were bone dry in some areas and muddy in others.  Tiny frogs were hopping about everywhere, and I’m sure their presence is preferable to that of the insects they consume.

We then traveled back in to the land of the middle class, visiting Xinli’s brother’s house.  The house was located in a development of identical homes.  Its footprint on the ground was not very large, but it stood four stories high not including the garage.  The bottom floor housed a living room in which we watched some of the NBA Playoffs (Chinese people are big on basketball, especially and all things Kobe Bryant) and a kitchen in which we munched some fresh litchi fruit.  The floors above held bathrooms, bedrooms, a home office, and a den.  The home does not only house Xinli’s brother and his wife, but also their son and his wife.  It’s not unusual for several generations to share a residence. 

DSC06012.JPG

A house near that of Xinli’s brother

DSC06016.JPG

The view out our hotel window

We ate dinner at the same restaurant on Huangshan’s Old Street as two days ago, which for its dumplings and noodles is officially my favorite place to eat in China.  

Location: Huangshan, China

2 thoughts on “Brotherly Love

1. Evelin Llera

I found your blog through a friends blog and I am really glad he had the link to your blog..I am going to bookmark this site and tweet out to my friends as well.