War of Independence

Hola,

So including today, we have only 3 more days here, but so much more to do. I have one final presentation today and an exam and a presentation tomorrow. Then I want to visit all the museums in town, or at least a few.

Yesterday, I finished up my shopping and went on a scavenger hunt for my one class. I had thought that a scavenger hunt near the end of the trip would be pointless, but it was so much fun and I really learned a lot. Most of the scavenger hunt required asking people questions, like how to get to a certain building, or the time, or other silly questions to help us practice our conversation skills. But one of the questions asked us to find a historical site downtown and describe it. My group decided to go see the Alhondiga de Granaditas, which is an old grain storage building that was the site of the 1st rebel victory of the Mexican war of independence.

When Miguel Hidalgo called for independence, all the Spaniards took refuge inside this building, but it was no match for the rebels. Huge crowds gathered, charged at the building, and eventually burned the door down and attacked the Spaniards inside. When we found the building yesterday, we were surprised to see dirt and gravel covering the cobblestone streets, tape that said, “do not cross”, and huge crowds of people.  A police officer escorted us through the crowds and down a side street, and we ended up on the other side of the building. Then, we noticed that some of the crowd was dressed as peasants and held torches and pitchforks, and the rest were dressed as colonial aristocrats. At first we thought it was some sort of reenactment celebrating the bicentennial, but then we saw the camera crews and heard them call action. All of a sudden we were in the middle of the independence. The “Spaniards” ran into the building for protection, and the mob charged at the door. It was so exciting and I can’t believe we were lucky enough to see that in action. And I was able to tape some of it, so I will put that up for you all very soon.

Anyway, that’s all for now, I just had to tell you about that incredible experience.

Adios,

Lexi 

Location: Alhondiga de Granaditas, GTO, Mexico

One thought on “War of Independence