Packing for Japan

I leave for Japan in three days (including today) and I have not yet packed.  However, I have collected all the items I need to bring along (or so I think).  There are some things you might not think of…. I had to buy a purse that could go over my shoulder and had a zipper so items could not be stolen easily; I bought new socks since, during the homestay, I will be walking around the house in my socks and having ‘holey’ socks is not overlooked (it is a bad reflection on a person); I bought long lasting batteries for my camera since my battery charger would not work without an adapter in Japan; I also bought a phone with Piccell Wireless.  This phone is meant for international use and can be returned to Piccell once I get home.  It was the cheapest option for using a phone that I could find – still international calls are extremely expensive so I will be using Google Talk if I want to have a ‘phone’ conversation with anyone (the 13 hour time difference will make real time conversations difficult); and of course I bought new clothes although I am not quite sure what will be considered fashionable or not in Japan (side note: some people still believe people in Japan wear old traditional clothes like Gis and Kimonos everyday, and although they do wear traditional clothes for some events and holidays, they mostly dress similar to Americans).  The most important step I took was to print all the information I need – the schedule for my program, my health insurance information, a copy of my passport, the information for my phone and the charges, contact information for the program supervisors, etc.

There is alot more to consider than one would think and electronics (that need converters and adapters) can cause the biggest problem at the ‘planning for the trip’ stage 

For any girls out there who are looking to head to Japan – don’t pack a hairdryer, buy one in Japan.  It’s a bit of a hassel, but to bring your own hairdryer would take room in your suitcase and would require an adapter (which is about 80$). 

Now I have to pack all of this – in a suitcase that can only weigh 44lbs!  I have to be sure to stay under the weight limit when I pack because I know I will be bringing back souvenirs!  Packing may prove to be the hardest part of the trip!

Location: Orefield, Pennsylvania, United States