Giraffes, waterfalls and learning…Oh my!

I am now writing to you from the Udzungwa Ecological Monitoring Center in Mang’ula, Tanzania. We have been here since the afternoon of Monday May 24th, 2010. The drive from Monogolo wasn’t too bad. Once we got closer to the national park the road started to get ridiculous with bumps, puddles and holes. I literally thought one of our tires was going to pop off and apparently that road is a lot better than some of the other ones in the area! Part of our drive here was on a road that went through Mikimi National Park. I am happy to say that along this road we had our first wild animal spotting! We are driving on the road and directly to our left, RIGHT next to the road was 2 giraffes! It is so amazing and weird to see this wild life on the side of the road; it is quite different from the deer and groundhogs I see at home! During the drive we also saw wild buffalo, small gazelle-like animals, zebras and many more giraffes. Next weekend we will be taking a weekend-long safari in that same park- I cannot wait!

Since we have been at the monitoring center we have been very bust. First of all – they defiantly are taking care of us here. We do have to deal with cold showers, no electricity (due do a broken transformer) and a really terrible internet connection but the food is great and accommodations are really good for the circumstances. The food usually consists of homemade giant bread rolls, yummy jams, fruit, coffee and tea in the morning and then rice (or beans) with some kind of vegetable or meat stew and a side of vegetables. The best thing is all the food is locally and organically grown. I have literally never had better vegetables – and this comes from a girl who is not a vegetable fan.

On our second day here, we went on a hike into the Udzungwa National Park. It was quite the hike! We only spent an hour and half going up but it was some steep climbing! Add in the heat factor and some major humidity and we were all tired and drenched in sweat. I must say the work was worth it though – once we got the peak of the trail we were at a huge waterfall. I would estimate the height to be about 150 ft. The power and wind that came off the falls was amazing and immediately helped to cool us down. If we hadn’t already been drenched from the rain that started during our hike we would have been soaked by the mist of the falls. Our guide told us we could go into the water and off our hiking boots and socks came! The water was cool but it was a good refresher. We stood under the falls and felt the pressure of the water on our backs. It was amazing and I was surprised of the force of the water. It was such an amazing, freeing moment – standing in the falls with the whole group after a hard hike up the mountain. It was my favorite moment here so far.

But it has not all been fun and games here, we have lots of work to do. We have been doing lots of readings to get acquainted with the culture and circumstances in Tanzania and having daily seminar meetings. Today we went around with a park worker to see the areas of park encroachment. The villages around here are really faced with a problem. Tons of people come here to live because the land is so fertile but then the population grows so quickly they need to expand. The problem is the valley is located right up next to the park so they barely have room to expand. They cannot build into the park and they cannot build further out because corporate sugar plantations are throughout the valley. This is one of the problems we have come here to work on – making community plans for these types of villages who are faced with tough decisions. The villagers also have a second problem of firewood. Currently they are allowed to the entire the park to collect the dead wood to use as firewood – the main source of energy in these small villages. The problem, however, has been that the removal of dead wood is affecting the national park because it takes away the habitat for bugs and small animals. As a result the national park is making it illegal to collect the firewood from the park starting next year. But what do the villagers do? They need energy sources from somewhere. It is just one of the many considerations we have here.

Next week we will start or work in the villages. As part of our courses we have to create a project for the village. The more we learn here the harder it seems to help people. With so many concerns and conflicts it seems almost impossible to find a solution to anything. But that is why we are frontloading our trip with academic readings and learning. Hopefully after we all have a better understanding we will be able to come up with a plan.

I am learning so much on this trip. We have come here to work and give to the villages and the country but I feel as if I am getting much more than I am giving. The way we live in America can be so distorted sometimes. We work and work and work while shutting ourselves in. Here, community is so important. Everyone greets one another and there is ALWAYS people sitting out in the streets, at a bar, under a tree or on a porch talking and just hanging out. There are so many people at home who probably know nothing about their neighbors. It seems so sad now after being here and seeing the closeness and relationships amongst these communities. But that is not the only thing – after seeing a totally different way of life I have realized how wasteful and unhappy people in America can be compared to here. EVERYTHING these people have is put to good use. I have just realized how ridiculous dogfood is! Dogs do not get special food here – they get whatever is left. Every part of the agriculture is used if possible and nothing goes to waste. We waste SO much at home. Just because we can afford to waste does it give us the right too? I have also seen differences in attitude. Tanzanians seems to be so happy and content with what they have – when many of them have very, very little. I have seen a kid playing with an old rubber tire and having so much fun – no videogames or fancy toys, just an old bike tire. Then as we were walking through the village the other day and we saw a woman sweeping her front doorstep. Her front doorstep was dirt – she was sweeping the dirt! That shows how much pride she has for her property and things, even though someone in America might be ashamed of such a thing. It shows me that happiness doesn’t have to come from what you own. For these people who have so little, to be so happy goes against what I have seen in America. It really brings up so many questions about the way we live.

Okay, I better stop – I’m starting to sound like a hippie :] I hope I will be able to post somewhat regularly now but who knows with this internet connection. If you want to read a different perspective you can read the blogs of my lovely roomies and fellow travelers: Katie, Abby and Rachel.

Until next time!

Location: Mang'ula, Tanzania

2 thoughts on “Giraffes, waterfalls and learning…Oh my!

1. JILL CHRISTINE ARMINGTON

Andrea:
    I absolutely LOVED this post! It was so vivid…I find what you’re doing in Tanzania, working with the village community, so interesting. Also, the upcoming safari, your waterfall experience, and your general observations about the community feel all seem fantastic. For the next few weeks, I’m in Turkey with PSU Study Abroad, but last summer I was in Ghana volunteering in one of the schools there. I experienced many similar things (like chilling under a waterfall!), and made similar observations: they may not have much, but they are so thankful for what they do have that I felt this overwhelming bitterness towards Western culture and how materialistic we tend to be…also, your comment about not knowing out neighbors in the US – so true! Our individualistic culture is quite depressing as compared to Tanzania (and Ghana)’s communal ones. Funny, you’re going over to help them, but I guarantee that they will help you just as much, if not more.
    I can’t wait to hear more about your adventures (and sorry for the extreme novel comment here…)
    -Jill Armington