Amigos que durarán toda la vida

Throughout these past 2 1/2 weeks I have really gotten to know 6 other Penn State chicas.  They are all so different and wonderful in their individual ways.  They have been great study buddies, co-adventurers, and always up for trying new food and places.  We have made La Botellita-a restaurant in el Jardin de Guanajuato-a frequent stop for spending some quality time together en la noche.  The workers at La Botellita are always so excited to see us when we come in. They know as we walk past and are always ready for us.  They have helped us when our Spanish is shaky and we are having a hard time communicating and they have even given us deals specifically for us. We know most of the waiters by name and the Host recognizes us when we walk in the door.

Apart from food, I have also experienced the haggling and bartaring scene.  I was talking with a man in el Jardin one night and was admiring a blanket/rug that he was trying to sell passerbys and I went up and asked him how much he was selling it for.  He told me a ridiculous price of 450 pesos and we haggled all the way down to 200 pesos.  I was unsure if I still wanted to buy it and he finally convinced my by saying that he wasn’t going to be back tomorrow and tonight was my only chance. He had also gone into great detail saying he had woven it himself and it had taken him countless hours to do so.  So, needless to say, I bought my blanket/rug feeling very proud of myself for saving roughly $25 until I passed by el Jardin the following day and saw him selling the exact same one to other foreigners.  Buuuut I am excited to take home my purchase and give it as a gift to my dad. I guess I just looked like a guliable American.

Location: el Jardin-Guanajuato, Mexico

One thought on “Amigos que durarán toda la vida