The Beginnings

Well here I am, creating my second blog ever (well my third, but trust me, the first really doesn’t count). I give the credit to Penn State’s technological enthusiasm.

I’m participating in the month-long Landscape Archaeology program led by Penn State professor Dr. Ann Killebrew.  (Here’s the link to the program website.)

I will be taking two courses – Landscape Archaeology and GIS for Archaeologists. It goes without saying that I’m excited – I’m going to experience things I, at this point, can’t even begin to describe.  Though we will be spending the bulk of our time in Hatay, Turkey (a town on the Cilician Plain), where we will be taking part in intensive archaeological surveying projects, we will kick off our international adventure in Istanbul!

As for me – here’s a few quick facts:
Name: Jill Armington
Hometown: Springfield, Pennsylvania (five minutes outside of Philadelphia)
Year: Freshman
Major: Anthropology (with hopes of tacking on another major in Sociology, and then perhaps minors in Chinese and International Studies…my eyes might be bigger than my stomach though, but as you can see, I’d love to do everything.)

Not only am I obviously psyched to head off to exotic places this summer, but I’m actually really excited to have this high-tech journal to document my adventures.  Last summer I went to Ghana, but all I have to show for my memories are thousands of photos and a water-logged journal with blurry writing that was obviously penned on bumpy dirt roads.  This way seems more reliable. 

Stay tuned!

Location: State College, PA 16804

2 thoughts on “The Beginnings