Rome is getting close!

colosseum.jpg     The Colosseum

Hi. My name is Carrie, I live in Cape Cod, MA, and I am going to Rome this summer with the Human Development and Family Studies program. I will be leaving in about three weeks and as the trip gets closer the more excited I am! My friend Allie and I will be flying out of Boston with Alitalia and we are hoping to have a better flight experience than our last trip home from Mexico. To prepare for the trip, I have just started packing and I am getting together my materials for my classes. I will be taking Early Childhood in Italy, Historical Roots of the Modern Italian Family, and Italian Relationships, both Cultural and Familial.

I am very excited to learn about Italian culture and experience a different kind of lifestyle than the American. I do not know much about the history in Italy, but I am eager to learn all about the ancient buildings and statues. Culturally, there is so much I don’t know and I can’t wait to expand my horizons. I can’t wait to go shopping, see the sights, and live as the Italians do. My program directors tell me that the gelato is a must have! They said that we can eat it everyday if we want because of all the walking we will be doing. As for the food, I am a little nervous because I am a very picky eater, but I’m sure real Italian food will be amazing! I will update you on it later. My program has planned trips to Venice, Florence, and Pompeii, and Allie, Britt, and I are thinking about trips to Paris, Barcelona, and/or Greece. We’ll see if we can manage to work those out.

Anyway, keep checking in to see all the fun adventures and the things that I see during my time in Italy! I am very excited to have the opportunity to go abroad and I plan to get as much out of my experience in Rome as possible. And those of you who know me, can you believe I figured out how to blog?! It’s actually pretty easy; let’s see if I can upload a video sometime!

View from St. Peter’s Basilica:

top of st. peter's.jpg

Location: State College, PA