Welcome to the Happiest Place on Earth

Greetings from the happiest place on Earth- Copenhagen (or K�BENHAVN as the Danes say)!  I have to say firstly when they advise you to pack lightly- DO IT! I drug 2 suitcases and 1 carry-on onto the Metro, down cobblestone streets and up 2 flights of stairs.  Needless to say I got my daily workout that day.  Aside from that and the lack of internet it was wonderful! 

View of Copenhagen

Thumbnail image for DSCN4646.JPG

It is beautiful here, COLD but beautiful and the people here are, in my opinion, the friendliest.  I live in the heart of the city (about 5 streets over from the canal and a few minutes’ walk from the Str�get, a famous shopping street in Copenhagen). 

the canal at night

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for DSCN4608.JPG

a fountain on Str�get that high school graduates celebrate at

Thumbnail image for DSCN4398.JPG

Everybody bikes here!!!  If they don’t bike (me!) they walk, take the metro or one of the various buses they have here.

a row of bikes at CBS

Thumbnail image for DSCN4429.JPG

Did I mention there are a lot of statues here?  A LOT and often times if you ask a Dane what the statue is for (especially the ones that are not of famous people) they will have no idea what it stands for or, in some cases, that the statue was even there in the first place.

Thumbnail image for DSCN4422.JPG

The statue below is underwater and often overlooked. This is called the Merman and his 7 sons and the story behind this statue is a sad one (Agnete and the Merman):

‘Agnete was a young peasant girl who was walking by the shore as a merman emerged from the waves and offered her his hand. Agnete fell in love with him immediately and went to the bottom of the sea with him, where she gave birth to his seven sons. After eight years, however, as she was sitting by the crib of her youngest son, Agnete heard the sound of churchbells ringing from her old village, and she felt homesick. She got permission from the merman to go to church, on the one condition that she would come back to him after mass. But of course, once on land again, Agnete found that she missed the church and her family too much, and she wouldn’t return.’

And so the merman and his sons face the land, reaching out and waiting for their loved one to return

Thumbnail image for DSCN4640.JPG

Well, classes start the 31st so I still have some time to explore before classes begin and the studying commences so until then!

Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

One thought on “Welcome to the Happiest Place on Earth

1. Taylor Leigh

Beautiful pictures. The underwater statue is very interesting. Nice touch to add the story behind it, too.