Napoli!

So my first week in Rome is complete! It is so much more than I ever could have dreamed to expect. The people. The food. The wine. The atmosphere as a whole speaks volumes for what the US doesn’t have in some ways. 
While we have an impressive culture, it is nothing like the literal layer on layer that there is here. I love it. The most hilarious things I found in Rome was about crossing the street. As it turns out, the most effective way to NOT get run over is to stare the oncoming driver in the eyes until they stop. Who knew? The most annoying thing about Rome (at least at our hotel) the key has to go into the wall slot in order for the electric to work in the room. This took a significant amount of time to figure out.. 
The first week in Rome was jam packed. While we weren’t running around the city 20 hours of the day, although sometimes it felt that way, we would have “class” consisting of various sites around the city until about 2 in the afternoon. Then we’re free to wander or sleep until the next morning. 
Currently, we’re staying in Sorrento outside of Naples. Getting here is story that only I can really tell. Taking the train to Naples was easy enough. However, once there we had to get another ticket for the hour long regional train ride around Vesuvius to Sorrento. Low and behold my ticket along with a few others didn’t work. They double for admission into some sites, which has been working. So the problem is really for someone other than me.
Getting onto the smaller train was trickier. Mostly because like my usual self, I got injured. Some wonderful gent, whom I’m told was American by some fellow students, pushed so hard getting onto the train with his stupid little carryon bag that he was actually (rather purposefully and with gusto) throwing it into the back of my foot. With no one moving in front of me and no room to turn, there was literally nothing I could do about it. Thankfully, it didn’t cut me, but it felt like it could have. The train? It’s also decades old with how rickety it was. 
When finally in Sorrento, we settled in and went to a local place for dinner. Not only was the food wonderful but the view was even better! We were on the cliffs above the bay of Naples. From my seat, there was a gorgeous sunset right over the island of Capri and a luxury cruise ship. If I turned slightly, it could see both the bay and Vesuvius. It might be the best photo I have ever taken. Then I proceeded to trip walking back to the hotel and completely break my sandal. I’m not sure why this was surprising to me at all. Just a reason for new shoes right? Although last night was much better with wild boar in my pasta (awesome!) and nothing broken on the way back to the hotel! 
We went into Naples to the archaeological museum, filled with art and ratification from Pompeii and Herculaneum. What really surprised me most was how Naples appeared. Describing it as decrepit might be my best option even though that’s not the correct word really. The city is covered in graffiti and many of the buildings are run down. But the people have no much life. This morning on the train, a group of men boarded, playing accordions and tambourines. Of course they were peddling for money but they were good and seemed to enjoy the early morning. Later, a similar thing happened only this man had what I assumed to be his son asking for money. This broke my heart completely as the boy couldn’t have been more than 4. 
I can’t say that this is a regular image. On the train home from seeming Herculaneum (and absolutely wonderful site. I’m so glad some of us stopped to see it), there was a woman standing with her two children, the girl maybe 5 and the boy maybe 7. A woman sitting with two of her own girls stood up on the moving train after a while, insisting that the standing woman’s small daughter sit there. I’m not really sure of the exchange since my Italian is very very broken and they spoke so fast but it was coming down to if the standing woman would sit with her daughter or if the sitting woman would remain in the seat closest. Each of them wanted the other to have the seat. Eventually, a man sitting not far away offered his own seat so that both women could sit and keep an eye on their children. 
I think this astounds me most as an American abroad. I’d seen something similar last week in a Roman grocery store. Whether people know each or not, they are constantly making small talk and niceties towards each other. In a country so busy, whether the area is well off or not, people look out for one another and they’re children. The beauty and the grace that the Italians have in their friendly manner goes further than with their own and with children. People are generally helpful and kind. I came to Italy anticipating to take in so much history when what I am taking away most, I believe now, is the present. The genuineness of the souls that live here is that they are souls. Wonderful, kind, generous souls. 
Sorry for the lack of photos! The internet here is pretty bad. 

Location: Sorrento, Italy