Raclette, Beach, and Wine!

This passed week was a bit tough on me, emotionally. I have officially started to feel a bit homesick, although I have no problem being here since it’s so awesome! I had some good Mexican food, which I go to pretty often now. I am currently planning a trip to somewhere close (There are so many options!)

On Wednesday night, my host mom, Christiane, had told me we were having a dinner with her best friend Arlette, her host person, Christiane’s daughter Aude, and grandson Rafael. We had Raclette (which is a really soft, fondue-type cheese) with French Charcuterie (hams, bacons, etc.) and baked potatoes. When we sat down at the dinner table, Christiane brought out two black cirucular hot pans. Under these black devices, there were individual mini pans, where apparently we put the cheese so it melts. once the cheese melts you put it on top of a baked potato alongside your ham, bacon, and so on. You could also cook your bacon on top of the black pan. THIS WAS SO DELICIOUS! Raclette is my favorite French cheese so far, and this dinner was one I will always remember.

I did a very French thing on Thursday morning; I stepped right in dog poop. After speaking to one of my professors, apparently stepping in dog poop is a sign of good luck, which is really what I am looking forward to.

On Saturday morning I went to the Marché bio, which is literally a farmers market right by my house. According to my host mom Christiane, everything there is so overpriced, but definitely worth buying. I got to try some onion beignets and a fried ball that had chickpeas, curry, and potatoes. We also ran into some really vintage postcards, buttons, pins, and pictures (very pricy). Later in the day, I decided to go to the beach, since it’s about a 25-minute ride. It was very windy, but definitely worth the trip.

12647259_1277712992255939_364232092226550773_n

When at the beach, always take your wine!

Update on my money: none. I haven’t found my missing money, but I have come to the conclusion that I probably won’t find it.

Location: Carnon Plage, France