Bonding with la madre anfitriona

This feels like I’m writing a public diary post, but I’m just going to go for it because this is my blog and I do what I want! Just kidding, it’s kinda Penn State’s blog. But still! Ok here goes…

Dear Diary,

I had the most wonderful day with my host mom today. Some serious bonding went on. First I woke up around noon and we ate lunch together, just the two of us. We spoke about my tummy issues from the day before. She offered to fix me something else for lunch, but I insisted that the pork and mashed potatoes that she fixed were more than palatable for me. She asked if the military band marching by the window or the 6.1 “tremor” (let me emphasize that 6.1 on the Richter scale is not an earthquake here in Chile) woke me up this morning. I said they did but I had no trouble falling right back to sleep. We sat at the lunch table just talking for nearly 3 hours about everything from her taste in men to poverty in Chile. My host mom is quite the talker once you get her going on a subject, but I really enjoy just listening to her speak Spanish (especially when I can understand her).

Next, we were off to a military parade. She asked if any of my friends were joining us and when I told her no she wanted to make sure I wasn’t blowing off more fun plans with my peers to spend time with her. I almost declined her invitation because my tummy was acting up again, but I forced myself to go knowing that this was a bonding opportunity I couldn’t pass up. We watched a group of students dancing la Cueca (Chile’s national dance) followed by the various military branches marching by while my host mom gawked at how beautiful the men looked in uniform. Probably one of my favorite interactions I’ve had with her. Did I mention we also took selfies together? Unfortunately, they are on her tablet and not my phone.

After the parade we shared some popcorn (not salty like in the U.S., but rather sweet like kettle or even caramel corn), and took the metro back to the apartment. We ate once (a lighter, version of dinner) and started talking about Penn State. I showed her pictures of the football stadium and told her that we were playing a game against another university (Rutgers) tonight. She was in absolute awe of how large the stadium is. Somehow the conversation evolved into talking about family relations when she was a girl (I think she is getting a little nervous because her mom is coming to visit on Monday – that’s right…I get to meet my abuela!) and then into dating. She asked me if machismo was a common problem in the U.S. between men and women. I explained to her that we don’t call it machismo but that it is an issue. I explained to her the stereotypes of students in fraternities and how I have unfortunately found most of these stereotypes to be true. She went on to explain how she has taught her two daughters to never tolerate violence in a partner and how she has taught her son to respect women.

She then sent me on my way to celebrate more of independence week at a fonda (festivals set up around the city at parks and plaza to celebrate Chile’s independence day…and by day I mean week) with some friends. I came back just a few hours ago and she came to my room to ask if I got her text, which I didn’t. She was craving some chocolate and wanted me to pick up some chocolate covered strawberries from the fonda for her. Luckily, I had some chocolate stashed away (no duh…my name is Emma Tierney…of course I have chocolate) which I gave to her (did I mention, it’s also period week?). It might not sound like a super exciting day, but I was pretty pumped to have my host mom to myself for a whole day.

Yours,

Emma

Location: Las Condes, Santiago, Chile

One thought on “Bonding with la madre anfitriona

1. Julie

Heartwarming Emma. No one can appreciate how difficult it is to form these bonds, and it doesn’t always happen. Sounds like you will have a second family for life!