Safety in Chile: Bras edition

When it comes to living in the U.S., I’m not a big supporter of bras (get it…support). If I were a cup size or two smaller, I would never wear one. And I do like to think that 1960’s Emma would’ve been the first person in the street burning her bra at a women’s rights protest. But I do have to say, there is no more helpful piece of clothing than a bra when it comes to life in Chile. My bra is my lifeline. I put everything in there. My keys, phone, money, metro card. You name it, it is in my bra.

Now I do get some strange looks when someone calls me and I stick my hand down my shirt, but there’s a method to my madness. In the US, most females store their belongings in their bra for convenience because they do not want to carry around a purse. In Chile, I do it for safety. I may not be able to feel someone slipping my debit card out of my pocket while I’m riding the metro (which I’ve had to do a lot now that classes have started). Someone may grab my purse while I’m walking down the street. However, I do think I’ll notice if someone sticks there hand down my bra. Plus boob sweat makes stuff stick in there, making things a whole lot harder for a thief. Therefore, bra = best storage location for all important items. If someone sticks their hand in my pocket or steals my purse, jokes on them because all they’re getting is a handful of tissues (some used), some chapstick, a half-empty water bottle, and a crap ton of tampons. Stay safe and happy travels, folks!

Location: San Joaquin, Santiago, Chile

One thought on “Safety in Chile: Bras edition

1. Karen Watkins

I love reading your blog. If you see any parrots, let me know. I’m planning a trip to South America to see amazon parrots in the wild to get a better understanding of how wild birds compare to companion birds.