Valparaíso and Viña del Mar

My apologies in advance. This is not one of my funnier posts; it’s more of a this-is-what-I -did post. So if you are not my mom or dad, you have no obligation to read this.

On Saturday, I visited Valparaíso and Viña del Mar with the other chicos in my program. In Valparaíso, we visited one of three of Pablo Neruda’s houses. It was a beautiful house with 5 levels and had a beautiful view of the Pacific. However, it felt really strange being there. It felt like I was at one of Pablo’s (or should I say Neftalí’s?) parties to which I wasn’t invited. It was a cool experience to have, but I got an unwelcoming vibe (probably because I prefer to address a famous Nobel Prize winning poet by his first name).

WP_20150801_012

Pablo Neruda’s house

WP_20150801_010

The view from the 5th floor of Pablo Neruda’s Valparaíso house

After our visit to Pablo’s house, we walked the streets of Valparaíso, looking at the famous hills chock-full of colorful houses and admiring the graffiti. I definitely want to beach it for a day in Valparaíso when the weather gets a little warmer.

Graffiti in Valparaíso

Graffiti in Valparaíso

WP_20150801_018

“Use the bike”

WP_20150801_020

“Do something good today”

The hills of Valparaíso

The hills of Valparaíso

We took an ascensor (just like the Incline in Pittsburgh) down a hill and walked toward the port, passing by the Chilean Naval building. On our way to admire the ocean, we got a few Halo’s and a few middle fingers. I guess when you’re sightseeing with 21 students, it’s hard to blend in. I swear, it wasn’t us being obnoxious Americans.

WP_20150801_043

Chile’s Naval building

WP_20150801_046

By the port, a gringo who you can tell is a gringo

Our last stop was Viña del Mar for lunch before walking along the beach. We ate at an Italian restaurant. Why not Chilean cuisine? (1) Our professors chose the restaurant. (2) I’m not gonna lie, Chilean food is kinda meh. It’s pretty bland in my opinion. However, I did eat a Chilean (or, depending on who you ask, Peruvian) dessert called suspiro limeño (dulce de leche pudding under meringue topping – YUM!).

WP_20150801_048

Flower clock, a gift from Switzerland

WP_20150801_052

Suspiro limeño

Along the beach, there were vendors selling everything from Chilean flag hats to alpaca sweaters. Guess which one I bought? You guess it, the alpaca sweater! I’m planning on wearing it to class Monday, so maybe I’ll snap a photo for you to admire its gorgeousness. Chao for now!

The beach in Viña del Mar

The beach in Viña del Mar

Location: Valparaíso, Chile

2 thoughts on “Valparaíso and Viña del Mar