Miami y El Cubano OM NOM NOM

No troubles in Philadelphia, just some mediocre mac and cheese for lunch and a garlic stick. The Miami airport – last stop before Santiago!

When I checked in at BWI, I was only given 2 boarding passes and was told that I would obtain my 3rd one in Miami. After figuring out how to obtain my 3rd boarding pass, I wandered through the airport to find a place for some dindin. After watching Chef a few months ago on Netflix, I really wanted to try a Cuban sandwich and what better place to try it than Miami! (Watch the movie. It’ll make you want one too.) I chose a bar called Ku-Va (the phonetic spelling of Cuba, for those of you who need a little help sometimes). I walked in, sat down, and the bartender said Hola to which I responded Hello. “Hello? Really Emma? You’re moving to South America for 4.5 months and you’re going say Hello the first time someone greets you with an Hola??” I think the real reason this happened was because I’m from the Kennett Square area (which has a large Mexican and Puerto Rican influence). If I walk into a Hispanic restaurant in Kennett Square, nobody will greet me with Hola because I am white (racial profiling? if you can even call it that). Many times it is rude to speak Spanish because the people serving believe you are insulting their level of education, especially if they are very proficient in English. But I think I can deal with a little racial profiling if the worst thing that happens when I am profiled as white is I don’t get to practice the second language that I learned while attending a nationally ranked high school and then an internationally known college. #whitepriviledge #deep #iwentthere.

Anyways, back to the sandwich. I wasn’t expecting to like it because I’m not a fan of pickles, but it was delicious! So delicious that I couldn’t wait to take a bite of it before snapping a picture, so here is a photo of my partially eaten Cubano:

WP_20150725_001

El Cubano: pork, ham, Swiss cheese, pickles, and yellow mustard on Cuban bread.

Sandwich devoured, I stood in line to board my flight to Santiago. This lady in line asked me in Spanish what boarding group I was in. The best part…I understood her! The little victories count too.

Location: Miami, FL