In Which the International Study Abroad ‘Show’ Gets on the Road

I embarked on my study abroad trip today and I’m beginning to see why people describe travelling as a tiresome activity. The travel day hasn’t really even begun yet. I’ve only completed one flight out of my set of three flights in my journey from Pittsburgh to Philly to Toronto to Rome. I am writing this in a 6 hour intermission in Philly before my flight to Toronto. (Heck yeah to low price Kayak flights!)

Although I know I will be tired from both the travel and the time change adjustment, I can’t help but marvel at twenty first century travel. When the plane in Philadelphia took off I was fixated on the window as we left the earth behind. As we were speeding through the clouds I thought about how for most of human history most people never left 10 miles of their place of their birth but technology has enabled people with so much freedom. I looked around at other people on the flight who mostly did not seem as impressed with the plane trip as I was. However, to them I probably looked like a slack-jawed fool staring out the window. 😉

If all goes smoothly, I’ll be in Rome in 18 hours. * knocks-on-wood *

-Cecilia

Location: Philadelphia Airport