Take me back to Taiwan!

Last week, everyone in the CIEE Shanghai program went on their week-long trip. The four destinations were Hong Kong, Yunnan, Sichuan, and Taiwan and I was one of the twenty five student who went on the trip to Taiwan. It was honestly an amazing experience and I suggest that if you every have the chance to go, definitely do it! We had six days and five nights to travel around the island and be tourists.

On this trip we first flew into Taipei, then went south to Sun Moon Lake, continued south to Kending, circled back north to Hualien and Toroko National Park, and then finally spend our last night/day in Taipei before we flew back to Shanghai. There was a lot of time spent on the bus but it was still so much fun.

taiwan_map

Day 1

I decided to be the flag-bearer at the airport

The trip started off with a 7pm flight from Shanghai, China to Taipei, Taiwan and it was a very, very bumpy ride. On top of the flight being delayed, there was a ton of turbulence for this hour and a half flight. At one point we were eating dinner and my friends’ tea/ coffee was spilling all over their trays because of how much we were moving. My one friend, who has been on planes almost her whole life, said that she’s never been on such a bumpy ride. She said that a 747 shouldn’t even move that much. Then when we landed we kind of landed on one wheel before balancing ourselves. My other friend, who has also been on planes her whole life, said that it was the worst landing she’s ever experienced. Considering, this has only been my fourth plane ride in my entire life, I was scared to say the least. It was a great start to the trip….

Day 2

We stayed at a hostel for the first night and then departed for Chiang Kai-shek’s Shilin Residence. Here we saw his house and a beautiful rose garden.

The outside of Chiang Kai-shek's residence

The outside of Chiang Kai-shek’s residence

One of the flowers from the garden

One of the flowers from the garden

After this we went to the Taipei National Palace Museum. It holds hundreds of thousands of historical relics that covers over 5,000 years of Chinese history. We weren’t allowed to take pictures inside the museum but here’s a picture of the outside of it!

Taipei National Palace Museum

Taipei National Palace Museum

After this we were off to our next stop- 日月潭 (Sun Moon Lake)

Night 2/Day 3

日月潭 (Sun Moon Lake) is a lake situated in the mountains and it’s gorgeous! When we first arrived it was nighttime so since our itinerary didn’t have anything planned for the night before, we got to explore the small town around our hotel. The first thing we found was a small night market.

The small night market at Sun Moon Lake

The small night market at Sun Moon Lake

One of the shops had a dog. This is Michael!

Then the next day we went on a boat ride to an island on Sun Moon Lake!

The mountains surrounding the lake were beautiful

日月潭 (Sun Moon Lake)

日月潭 (Sun Moon Lake)

A view of Sun Moon Lake

A view of Sun Moon Lake

After our quick stop at the lake, we were off to our next stop- the Buddha Memorial Hall!

Next stop, Kending!!

Night 3/Day 4

After a long drive, we finally made it to Kending! The land of warm weather and beaches. We ended day three with a trip to the night market and I realized that night markets are my favorite places to be. There’s a ton of delicious food and so many shops to buy almost anything you could want. The next morning for our first day in Kending, we went snorkeling, banana boating (omg so much fun!) and then went to Longtian Grassland and Eluanbi Lighthouse. I was ecstatic. I love the beach and swimming and doing beachy things so much that I couldn’t hide my excitement.

The night market at Kending

The night market at Kending

At the night market!

At the night market!

It just looks so tropical

It just looks so tropical

Longtain Grassland

Longtain Grassland

While we were given free time to explore the cliff side at Longtain Grassland, we were in awe of four little goats prancing around the cliff. Obviously this meant tons of pictures.

The cute goats

The cute goats

A view from the ledge

A view from the ledge

After that we spent a rainy few hours at Eluanbi Lighthouse and then another night at the night market.

The rainy day at the lighthouse

The rainy day at the lighthouse

You can't go wrong with coconuts

You can’t go wrong with coconuts

Day 5

On our fifth day of your trip we unfortunately had to leave Kending and continue on our journey. On this day we went to 猫鼻头公园 (Cat Nose Park) and then on a countryside bicycle tour before heading north to Hualian.

A beautiful view of the water

A beautiful view of the water

On the road again

On the road again

Lulu and Nai Cha

Lulu and Nai Cha

Our bikes

Our bikes

I seriously loved the bike tour. We saw a lot of scenery but what made it better was the fact that Lulu and Nai Cha followed us. So bike ride + doggies = a great day.

One of our stops on the bike tour

One of our stops on the bike tour

My friend, Colleen, and Lulu

My friend, Colleen, and Lulu

Next on our itinerary, Hualian!

Day 6

For this part of the trip we walked through part of Taroko National Park with our awesome blue helmets and then went to 九份 (Jiufen). Taroko National Park is one of the eight national parks in Taiwan and is named after the Taroko Gorge, the landmark gorge of the park. The path we walked went through some of the cave tunnels and it also followed one of the small rivers that flowed between the mountains.

On the bus ride there, our tour guide suddenly got off the bus to go to this stand-alone building and when he gets back on he has two giant green bags. He starts pulling out these light blue helmets and there’s so much confusion on the bus since we weren’t actually sure what we would be doing at the national park.

“What are the helmets for?”

“Falling rocks.”

“Oh”

Always wear your helmet

Always wear your helmet

Part of the path we walked

Part of the path we walked

After this we were off to 九份 (Jiufen). The name of this town originates from the Qing Dynasty when there were nine families living here. Every time shipments of food or other things arrived in the village, they would always request nine portions (jiufen in Chinese) and then this later became the town’s name. Also, if you’ve ever watched Spirited Away, you should know that the town of Jiufen inspired this movie.

A view of Jiufen

A view of Jiufen

A view of Jiufen from the Jiufen Old Street

A view of Jiufen from Jiufen Old Street

One of the cute cats in Jiufen

One of the cute cats

A row of shops

A row of shops

Then we were on our way back to Taipei! When we got to Taipei, we had the chance to go to the Shilin night market. One thing that you should try in Taiwan is the oyster omelet. We had the recommendation from our tour guide and it was delicious.

Shilin night market

Shilin night market

Finally made it to the night market!

Finally made it to the night market!

Bubble tea for days

Bubble tea for days

Oyster omlet

Oyster omelet

Day 6

And this was our final day in Taiwan :(. We had free time until early afternoon to do whatever wanted before we had to head to the airport. So a bunch of my friends and I decided that we were going to go to Taipei 101, the fourth tallest building in the world. We wanted to go to the top and see Taipei. My friend, Colleen, has a friend who has been living in Taiwan for a while and she helped us get to Taipei 101 and show us around a bit.

Collen and her friend, Chihung

Collen and her friend, Chihung

Taipei 101

Taipei 101

The ticket to the observatory

The ticket to the observatory

Taipei 101 has the world record for the fastest passenger elevator

Taipei 101 has the world record for the fastest passenger elevator. It only takes 37 seconds to go up 89 floors.

A view from the 91st floor

A view from the 91st floor

Chihung gave us pineapple cakes as a gift!

11187294_804388136315948_4040628094026759340_o

Mirror pics because we can

Overall, this trip was so much fun! I wish I could’ve spent more time traveling around Taiwan, but all this means is that one day I should plan a trip to go back and continue where I left off!