You Can Call Me… Grape?

How would you feel standing up in front of a group of Koreans and telling your life story???

Monday night, that’s exactly what I did.

Perhaps now is that time when you are sitting there wondering how I managed to get myself in this situation.  I’d say that’s a fair question.

Well… it all started when I joined the – don’t laugh – traditional Korean drum and dance club. It’s called pungmul -풍물.  Have I ever played drums before? No.  Do I have any rhythm? I’m white… so no. So why did I join?  I joined for a few reasons.  1) I never had the chance to learn Korean drum, so what better place to learn than in Korea?!  2) It’d be a fun skill to say I learned while abroad 3) This could be a great chance to meet and interact with local koreans at my university. And lastly, 4) WHY NOT?!

One of the traditinal drums: 장구 – Janggu

From the very first club meeting I went to, I knew I made the right decision. The people there were so kind and fun, I immediately felt welcomed.  And that’s saying a lot, considering hardly any of the club members speak English (and we all know I hardly speak any Korean).  But the best part is it doesn’t matter, most of the meetings I just spend the time laughing and learning the instruments. We can still joke around and enjoy each others presence, and I’ve really enjoyed every meeting so far.

We had our first performance this past weekend!  We went around to multiple restaurants in Sinchon 신촌, a popular area for young people that is located near our university campus, and played for the restaurant owners.  From my understanding, this tradition comes from when 풍물 players used to go to farms in the olden days and play for farmers to bring them good luck in their harvest.  We play for the restaurant owners to bring good luck to their business. In return, they gave us free food and drinks (!!!!!).

Where there is free korean food, you will always find Paige.

When I showed up for the performance, I had no idea it was going to be such a big ordeal.  Our club has about 10-15 consistent members, but for this performance, we teamed up with other universities and played, so that there was around ~75 people.  And at first, I was literally the only non-asian. My friends from my program are Korean-American and Chinese-American, but they could still blend in.  But me? Whiter than white?  It was the first time I was really aware of my whiteness, as strange or shocking as that seems.  It was the first time I was really reminded that I was a minority, and it was… an interesting experience to say the least.

We lined up in parade form, and played all around 신촌. The drums aren’t exactly quiet as you can imagine, so it wasn’t long before people would turn to look at us and take out their cell phones to record. It was so much fun!

Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 1.26.59 AM

Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 1.27.11 AM

We ended the night by heading over another popular young area in Seoul, called Hongdae 홍대. There we found a spot in the street and put on a full performance. Afterward, all of the university students went out and ate and drank together! With the help of my good friend soju, I was able to actually hold some conversations in Korean, which I count as a success!!! The entire experience was one I’ll never forget.

That’s all good and fun, but now may be the time you’re wondering why I had to get up in front of everyone and tell my life story?! Get to the point already!!!

In this club, everyone goes by their nickname. They don’t call each other by their real names… ever. And in order to get a nickname, you stand up in front of all the members and tell them your life story. Your family, your friends, your dreams, your failures, your ideal man or woman, your favorites books and movies, etc etc etc. The whole ordeal takes about an hour, but it was SO much fun! Through all this, you really get to know each member. Then, at the end, potential nicknames are thrown out and everyone votes!

My nickname is 포도! Literal translation is Grape, but it comes from ‘장되지 않은 진실된 음” Which basically means someone who is sincere and pure in all their help, since I am someone who really enjoys volunteering and hope to work for an NGO one day. I absolutely love it, and when I was given the nickname, I truly felt like I was part of the club.

Aren’t we the cutest club you ever saw????

(((Credit to the lovely Ashuka Xue for the pictures in this post! Thanks for the memories girl)))

Location: Seoul, South Korea