The Cliffs of Moher

One of the most famous landmarks in Ireland, as many will know, would be The Cliffs of Moher located in Counties Clare and Galway.  I was fortunate enough to be able to visit them with my friend Mary when two of her friends from home, Claire and Erin, came to visit over their spring break.

The four girls standing with the cliffs in the background.

Mary, Claire, Erin, and me at the Cliffs of Moher!

Our tour started off with several stops as we made our way through Galway  down into Clare.  We visited Dunguaire Castle in Kinvara, The Burren, Corcomroe Abbey, Ballyalban Ring Fort, and Poulnabrone.  Each one is pictured below!

Dunguaire Castle in Kinvara

Dunguaire Castle in Kinvara

Corcomroe Abbey

Corcomroe Abbey

Ballyalban Ring Fort

Ballyalban Ring Fort

Poulnabrone Burial Tomb

Poulnabrone Burial Tomb

We stopped for lunch in Doolin, County Clare, and then continued on towards the cliffs.  It was a chilly day, and when we arrived, a wind and rain storm overtook the entire area.  We all piled from the bus into the tourism center, taking time to learn about the cliffs while the storm passed.  Within about fifteen minutes the storm had passed and the sun came out – in Ireland, weather patterns hit and subside frequently… we could have rain, sun, snow, hail, wind, etc. within the span of an hour.  Mary, Erin, Claire, and I all bravely ventured out of the tourist center and were greeted by some incredible views.

WP_20150302_193WP_20150302_157

After visiting the Cliffs of Moher, we stopped at the “Mini Cliffs” which were also incredibly beautiful.  We had fun jumping from rock to rock to get nearer to the water.

Mary trying not to get blown away by the wind at the Mini Cliffs!

On the way home, our bus driver, Gary, made some of the passengers sing to us.  Why?  Well, Gary instituted a rule at the beginning of our trip: if you were late back to the bus at any point during the journey, you’d have to sing and/or dance on the bus back home to Galway.  Mary and I were going to ask if he’d take volunteers, but we thought better of it!  (And no, we were never late back to the bus, if you were wondering!)

By the time we were back in Galway, Gary told us that he would show us how he could make a dog dance.  I was fortunate enough to capture it on video – every time I re-watch it, I laugh hysterically.  See if you can keep a straight face!

I hope you enjoyed it!  As you can hear from my laughter in the video, I certainly did!

Until my next post,

Maddison

Location: Cliffs of Moher, County Clare, Ireland