Snowshoes, Cycling, and Spring Break!

Snowshoeing the Black Forest

Finally made it to the Black Forest yesterday! With our weekly weekend trips, I’ve realized how little time we’ve actually spent on the outskirts of Freiburg! Every weekend there’s something to do, some place to go. And after almost 3 months of being in Freiburg, it was TIME to venture to the Black Forest. One of our friends from our German language course invited us to come snowshoeing there. “Bring waterproof shoes” were our instructions but since most of us hadn’t packed hiking shoes to Europe, we made do with what we had. So equipped with a pair of sneakers, 2 extra pairs of socks, and optimistic minds, we strapped into our snowshoes.

snowshoeing in the black forest

Our group chose the longer 10 km (6.2 mile) route and for 4 hours we went hiking. Because of the uphill path and constant movement, we didn’t get very cold at all! Three fourths of way in, we came across a small lodge where we stopped for warm drinks and some food. The last fourth of the path was flat land and quite easy and quick! Our socks were soaked but we were warm and had made it!

We definitely have plans to go back to the Black Forest during the spring and go on one of the many hiking paths.

TIP: Our student public transport passes are valid not only for the trams in Freiburg but also for the regional trains that take us up to an hour outside of Freiburg (into the Black Forest). If you study abroad, get the student discounted transport passes and take the free rides places!

Buying a Bike!!!

my bike!

My bike!

I bought a bike! This is Pegasus and I am so excited to finally have a bike in Europe. Biking is much more common here than in the States so I wanted to take advantage of a prime opportunity to bike away! Since I only need him for a couple of months I bought the cheapest (working) one for 90 euros and have been told I could expect to make most of the money back when I sell the bike. There is someone always looking or selling a bike in Freiburg. Can’t wait to ride him!!

Spring Break 2015?!

Lastly, here comes Spring Break right around the corner!! 3 weeks. 1 backpack. 7 countries. We will be traveling for 3 weeks around Europe and I am completely stoked! The itinerary is

• Innsbruck
  • Salzberg
  • Vienna
  • Prague
  • Barcelona
  • Rome
  • Florence
  • Cinque Terre
  • Milan

After hours and hours of booking and itinerary planning, I can’t wait for the 3 weeks and to see even more of Europe. I keep realizing how I’m basically living on a cloud. I know how fortunate I am to have the chance to travel and I am taking in every place and sight I see to learn as much as I possibly can. Can’t wait to share some stories once I return!

Since I will be traveling, I may have less computer access but info about the trip will be out within the month – so stay tuned!!!!! Until then, AUF WIEDERSEHEN!

Location: Black Forest, Feldberg