Half Way Mark

Once I woke up, I decided to write a blog post that currently expresses how I feel about my study abroad semester so far.  In less than a week I will have already completed half of my semester abroad.  It is crazy to even fathom the thought of it.

At Penn State Berks I am a commuter student, so I drive to school everyday.  I had a routine back home that I always repeated in order to start my day, be productive throughout the day, and to end my day.  Living in Milan has completely changed my perspective on how I should attack my days.  Once I arrived 7 weeks ago, I immediately knew that that old routine was out the window.  Everyday being a student in Milan feels like an adventure.  I don’t know what the day will have in store for me.  I don’t know what train stop will I get off, what I am going to have for lunch, or what will I see that will completely boggle my mind.  It has been an eye opening 7 weeks for me.  As a student you want to always keep an open mind and be ready to embrace and soak all the information you acquire, whether it be: in class, in the streets of the city, meeting new people, etc..  At this point I am not displeased I have already completed half of my time studying abroad, but I am content that I have become more aware of my surroundings and how to learn from them.  Yesterday I was satisfied I was able to send complete emails in Italian, speak to the cashier at the groceries in Italian, and have conversations with strangers in Italian.  You hear a lot of people use the saying, “it’s a small world,” but I believe it is only small if you see it that way.  Any students who are considering studying abroad and are afraid of the language barriers, the feeling of feeling lost in a new environment, rest assure it’ll be an unforgettable experience.

Location: milan, italy