Almost There

Alright guys, I just arrived to the Detroit Airport and while I would much rather be sleeping now my lovely girlfriend so kindly reminded me that I have to write my first blog post. Thanks Nora…  I’m so tired right now. I don’t know how I’m staying awake to write this. Maybe I’ll go get a coffee. Yeah that sounds pretty good about now I’m gonna go do that.

Okay I’m back with my Mickey D’s coffee and a few less tastebuds that have been just burned off. I guess I either forgot to read the “caution this drink is hot” warning on the lid, or maybe I can chalk me forgetting how hot coffee is up to my state of tiredness due to an absence of sleep these past 24 hours. I can never sleep the night before I have something big. Like when I started my first day of college. Or going to Shanghai right now. It sucks but I guess it is what it is.

Alright back to business. So I’m sitting in the airport now waiting for my buddy Cam to arrive so we can grab some breakfast and some bloody Mary’s and start this journey to meet our brothers and sisters in Shanghai. It hasn’t really hit me yet that in a couple of hours I’m about to fly halfway across the world to an entirely new place unbeknownst to me. I hope I used that word correctly there, I’m to tired to look it up.

But seriously, wow! Im going to freaking Shanghai. That’s nuts! I’ve never been anywhere even remotely close to Shanghai both geographically and conceptually. I’m pretty stoked. I hope I get to do a bunch of cool stuff when I’m there. Actually I know I’ll get to do a bunch of awesome stuff. Maybe I’ll get to play with a panda bear. That would be pretty cool. I’d like that. It’s pretty wild to think that the next sit down meal that Ill be having is dinner with my host family. Oh yeah I’m staying with a host family I forgot to mention that. Meeting them should be pretty cool. Im sure they’re nice people. I mean seriously why would they volunteer to house some random American kid for the next three months is they weren’t nice people? I hope my host mom or dad is a good cook. That would be sweet. I like Chinese food too and I’m down to try anything new.

I’ll probably eat a bunch of weird stuff in China. Knowing me, and from what I know they offer its almost inevitable. I wanna learn how to cook some cool Chinese food too, that would be pretty sweet. I need to know how to cook more stuff anyways so why not start there, ya know?

I think I’m going to gain a lot from this experience. I love meeting new people and if I had to guess, in a country of over a billion people I’ll bet that I’m gonna meet some new interesting folks. These next few months should but me swimming in the sea of positivity as I apprise myself on life in the other part of the world.

I know I didn’t share to much enlightening information right now but there’s not much more I can really report sitting here in gate A36 in the Detroit Airport. All I can say is that I’m gonna go in to Shanghai with and open mind and roll with the punches and take on everything thing that comes my way. I’m also pretty close to falling back asleep so I’m gonna let you guys go.

Until next time,

~Sam