#LDN2K15

In the past two months, I have been in five different countries, I have seen four plays, I have been on three blind dates, I have lost two gloves, and I have written 1 blog – this one.

Yes, I am two months into my study abroad in London, England and this is my first blog – sorry PSU GeoBlog! Every time I felt an inkling of a “blogsperation” something exciting in my life would fall precedent, or I would actually attempt to write it out, only to experience extreme anxiety and discomfort – no, not in relation to my irritable bowel. Turns out, putting my thoughts and feelings into words isn’t quite my cup of tea.

But we are two paragraphs in and this feels alright. While I’m on a roll, I must revisit the first moment I felt like I had something to blog about.

On a long walk one day I discovered what I hypothesized as the “coolest” coffee shop in London. At first, I even went as far as to compare this cafe to my alma mater, Saint’s Café, in State College. But at Wild and Wood, they keep the cakes out in open air, there isn’t a front counter, and they purposefully don’t have wifi to “foster conversation.” I have since proven this hypothesis wrong – because pews hurt my back and wifi is life – however, I digress.

The next weekend, in true study abroader fashion, I thought the best way to waste a few quid was by taking a stroll to my new favourite coffee spot and stopping at a bookstore on the way for a light read. What should I read over here? Some deep and meaningful fiction, definitely. While I thought the hardest part of this day would be fitting in at “the coolest coffee shop in London,” this was not the case.

I’ll save you the misery I faced in that book store – flash forward – I spent two wretched hours browsing fiction titles. All I wanted was for the synopsis of an interesting looking book to pull me in, but it just wasn’t happening. I was trying SO HARD to sell myself on some of them, but I simply could not. It is likely, that in true study abroader fashion, I was trying too hard.

I ended up purchasing The Big Short by Michael Lewis, a classic piece of financial literature that I am embarrassed to admit I hadn’t read until a few weeks ago (sorry, Dad and Gary).  Also, before you say it, I know we have a “million” copies at home.

Now, did I enjoy reading this book? Hell yea, I have since re-read it. Books are expensive.

But you see, I am a finance student at home, as was my sister, and my dad teaches the subject as well. However in London I am taking my art and history credits – “expanding my horizons”, “seeing new things”, “branching out.” So here lies my first blogspiration. I am over here living in a dream, a chance to completely distance myself from my home life, and I can’t help but my stray back to my roots.

In a way my interest in the book was comforting and reassuring – “Yes, I am in the right major!” But at the same time it made me wonder – just how far will I let myself go out of my comfort zone while I’m over here? Will I always be searching for something that “feels like home”? I sure hope not. Cue scary music.