The Halfway Point

In dire need of a distraction while studying for midterms, the time felt right for a blog entry. This upcoming week will mark the official halfway point of my study abroad program at Temple Rome. Knowing this fact has allowed me to reflect on my time spent a Roma as well as what I want to accomplish moving forward for the next two months.

The Reflection 

I always heard that you learned a lot about yourself while studying abroad and I am here to further that sentiment. I cannot emphasize enough the fact that you are thrust into unfamiliar situation and are expected to adapt right away. After living here for almost two months now, I can honestly say I feel comfortable with where I am in regards to personal, social, and academic health. Things I have learned so far:

You are who you are, no matter what country you are in – Regardless of the fact that I am in Rome, I still act and behave the way I do in America. Daily visits to the gym and hours of work are customs that have been instilled at home and have completely transferred here as well. I still have the same goals in this country as I would at home, and I try to not let the situation ever negatively impact my attitude. Maintaining that certain continuity in terms of personal health is key in both adapting to the situation as well as assisting in being homesick.

Remembering personal and social balance – What comes along with meeting so many new people so quickly is the discovering of agendas; what everyone wants to do with their limited time in Europe. Some people insist on traveling every weekend while others may not want to leave Italy. Some people want to take the Metro to school while others want to walk. Some people may want to go out every night while others want to stay in. I felt it was key to establish personal goals from the beginning and try to not veer from them very much. Knowing who you are and what you want to accomplish is very important. On the other side of the coin, I also believe that developing social relationships is just as important aspect to this entire experience. Going out with your friends, spending time with different groups of people and being talkative in class are all ways to enhance the experience socially. At the end of the day, balance is what is most important and what leads to a satisfactory lifestyle.

10377156_10153030144268909_6271882453715270076_n

Cultural immersion is key – While this may sound a bit strange, my gut knows the difference between vacationing in Italy and living in Italy. When vacationing in Italy, you get a sense of awe from many of the things that you do: seeing the sites, eating the food, and going shopping. Everything is such a fantastic time because you are here for such a limited amount of time. When you are studying abroad, the mindset completely transforms. While the sites are still truly breathtaking, you look at them thinking they are more typical than extraordinary. However, it’s the moments that no one ever talks about when I feel the most immersed in this beautiful country. Moments like walking home from school, jogging around the city familiarizing myself, and attending a local church with the community. It is in these moments where I find myself most happy abroad and truly feel like an Italian.

Moving Forward

With the remaining two months I have here, there are many things that I wish to accomplish. I want to further immerse myself in this culture by learning more of the language, going to Italian areas of the city, as well as visiting cities that are not typical tourist spots. I want to always keep in mind my personal fitness and academic goals and not veer from the course I have laid out. I want to continue to be social in the right situations and further develop the relationships I have made up until this point. Most importantly, I want to always keep in perspective the opportunity that I have been given. I want to always remember that I am living in one of the most magical cities in the world and not many people will ever have a chance to do that. Sono molto fortunato studiare a Roma!

10858482_10205799822505792_4640653966082853892_n

Location: Rome, Trionfale, Cipro

One thought on “The Halfway Point

1. Selina Bitting

Hi! My name is Selina and I’m an architecture student going to study in Rome in the fall. I really like this post, I grew up in Germany and haven’t been back to Europe for 7 years so I’m unbelievably excited to go back. Since I will be studying in Italy with half of my class here, your point about setting personal goals did not occur to me. Constantly it’s me and my friends wondering “where are we going?” and I haven’t thought to take some time to really figure out what I want to do. For example, I know I’m going to be up early every day, something I know my friend is not interested in, and I also was hoping to join a gym (speaking of which, how is your experience of that?) and I’m hoping to have a really fulfilling day-to-day that doesn’t fall into strict routine where I find a comfort zone. That would be my biggest fear. All-in-all, thanks for this post! I could have gone abroad without a second thought what I wanted to get out of the experience.