“Coming of Age”

FullSizeRender

As I move past my second week and well into the third week, I have come to the realization that studying abroad is not very different than normal life in the fact that we are all always riding a roller-coaster. The only clear difference is that with studying abroad, there is a European context. With the past week and half of classes in the books, I am experiencing similar situations to that of a typical college student.

• Not getting enough sleep
  • Having to walk to class
  • Forgetting to do a reading
  • Having to prepare dinner
  • Did I exercise today?
  • Always having work to do

While these items seem to be globally applicable, it does provide me with a sense of comfort in that I have been there and done that. The best way to not feel homesick is realize there is always something to be accomplished.

As the weeks go by, I realize that I am allowing Rome to become my home. I am starting to develop a routine and provide some much-needed structure back into this European lifestyle. Preparing meals, doing school work, and exercising at the gym allows me to feel like my typical self while still embracing this excellent culture.

Entering my third week, I can honestly say I have made numerous new friends that I am proud to call my friends. I still baffles my mind that I have only known these people for a couple a weeks considering our familiarity and comfort with one another.

With regards to the actual city of Rome, I am slowly starting to know my way around the confines of the city. I took a three-hour jog the other day and just allowed myself to get lost and learn by exploring. I managed to see the Vatican, the Colosseum, Circus Maximus, the Roman Forum, Piazza Navona and the Fountain of Four Rivers, and many other exquisite places.

FullSizeRender.jpg

While I plan to keep getting to know Rome, excursions to other destinations are quickly approaching. Not only am I fortunate enough to make Roma my home, but I have the exciting opportunity to familiarize myself with all of Italia.

Location: Vatican City, Roman Forum, Roman Colosseum, Piazza Navona

One thought on ““Coming of Age”

1. Maddison

I definitely relate to how stressful it can be to juggle the responsibilities of college while also adjusting to life in an entirely new place. It sounds like you’re doing well – I think establishing a routine is important. I’m still finding that kind of difficult to do… it seems like everyone around here is getting sick and missing class because of it… trying to keep our heads above water is proving to be more challenging than we initially thought. But I think things will get better as the weeks go on! Good luck with school and life in Rome… just remember that study abroad is a unique experience, so try to savor every second of it!