Pre-trip Jitters

I’m heading to Tanzania in less than a month!  I’ll be staying at the Mang’ula National Park while I create an ecotourism marketing plan (including a new website) to increase tourism in the park.  Although I’m a Marketing major, I’m traveling with the School of Landscape Architecture.  I’m so excited to work with them on community development issues that will be identified in part by face to face interviews with the villagers every morning.  I couldn’t ask for a more authentic experience!

I just received my airfare confirmation in my inbox…it’s official!  I’m really going! The nerves just started to set in now that it’s really happening (and soon).  I can’t wait to see a new continent, a new culture, even a new economic status.  Hopefully this study abroad will stretch my limits and beliefs.  I’m hoping to reevaluate the way I live my life as it relates to the rest of the world.  I’m hoping to come back more thankful for the “streets paved in gold” in the USA as compared to the more simple life in a developing country like Tanzania.

I’m nervous for a lot of reasons.  How will I be perceived there?  Is my help wanted?  Am I imposing or “fixing” a life that isn’t even broken to begin with?  As a white girl, I’ve never been a minority before.  I’m nervous to stick out so blatantly.  I’m nervous about the language barrier.  I’m nervous about offending someone of the Muslim religion by being too bold. I’m nervous about the theft problem in the big cities like Dar es Salaam.  I guess I’m just nervous.  BUT I did ask for an experience that would stretch me, that would make me a more well rounded person who understands the world more completely.  So here is the opportunity staring me in the face.  Here goes… I’ll make the most of it!

Location: University Park, PA